Sunday, September 28, 2008

A bit of the past...

This is an assignment that was given to our Teaching and Learning class. We were asked to take a Salvation Army Doctrine, explain it, and apply it to our lives. While writing this paper I was able to remember more clearly the occasion of my salvation, and was then able to understand more things that I had not noticed before. I thought I would put this here to give you a bit more of an understand of my past.

Doctrine Six of The Salvation Army states: “We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ has by His suffering and death made atonement for the whole world so that whosever will may be saved.” This Doctrine clearly communicates to the reader that they must make a personal choice to be saved, and this can only come through acknowledging Jesus Christ as dying to save us. It also tells a person that every individual has the opportunity to choose (“whoever will”) and it isn’t just for the ‘chosen’ few. We become aware that in everyday life we can trust in only the Lord always for our salvation, and not on our own works and deeds!
As individuals our daily faith is dependent on the truth that Jesus Christ made atonement for the sins of the world and prepared, through Himself, the only way to the Father. We must remember continually that no works and no other man will be able to provide our salvation. Every day we must also confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, so that our faith in Him will mature. I can also refer do the 9th Doctrine which states: “We believe that continuance in a state of salvation depends upon continued obedient faith in Christ”. This Doctrine follows on from Doctrine 3 as it teaches that we must continually confess and be obedient in our faith of Jesus Christ as Lord, in order to live in the constant state of salvation. We must not look to others gods, people, things or tasks; we must only set our eyes Jesus Christ.
This Doctrine holds deep meaning in my life because it contains truth that I did not understand before the point of my salvation. At a young age I always believed in Christ, but I thought that to be a ‘good Christian’ one simply had to do ‘good things’! Reading and understanding this doctrine in my life taught me that the only way to the Father is in acknowledging that Jesus’ death and resurrection is the crucial element in our salvation. I could no longer just half heartedly believe in my mind that He was Lord, but I had to confess with my mouth and my life that He is my Savior! I remember the point of my salvation clearly. I was 14 years old when I attended a week long YWAM camp, and it was the last night before we went home. This was the night that the leaders offered a chance for salvation through Jesus Christ. I vividly remember the call going out once, twice, three times. Each time more and more people would stand to their feet in front of their peers. Even though I wanted with all my strength to stand, I could not; something was holding me back. After the meeting I was speaking with a new friend I had met that week, and while we were discussing salvation and what it was that was in my way, stopping me from committing my life to Jesus Christ, I realized that it was the belief that Jesus actually did die and rise again for the salvation of the world. At that moment my life changed and it was no longer just a story without meaning, but it was a profound truth that penetrated my soul. That night, in front of my peers, knowing I would have to tell my family I made this ‘strange’ choice to follow Christ, I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior! I remember sobbing and sobbing. Not because I was hurt, but because I was saved; because I had made the conscious choice to accept the Salvation by grace that had always been available to me! I am saved today because I know with all I am, that Jesus Christ suffered and died for me, and because I am living in constant faith to this truth!

Writing this assignment impacted me greatly and i hope that it can inspire you to look back to your salvation to ascertain some truths that you have not yet discovered.

No comments: