Monday, January 26, 2009

BT Kids!

This past Sunday we went to Brooklyn Tabernacle to visit their church and Youth programs. It was very encouraging to meet youth worker volunteers who are so committed to changing the lives of churched and un-churched children in their community. They do this task with such passion and desire to see the word of the Lord in their hearts. The teachers were loved by both the students and the workers and volunteers of the church.
The 7-13yr old church service was one that worked so well. The workers were prepared and were energetic from before the kids walked in the door until after they left. They had a sincere heart to serve the Lord and I believe the kids saw the Lord reflected in their lives.
Overall I was encouraged to be more energetic , creative, and thoughtful in my ministry with children and youth, making sure that I think through every circumstance from their first arrival to how they leave. I also want to strive to be more hospitable in my actions and relations with people around me. As soon as we arrived we were welcomed as if we were a part of the family and I think if this model was intentionally used in our ministry, our services would be filled with people ready to receive from the Lord!
There are many things that I would like to see adapted into my ministry repertoire, including specific games, more diverse worship focused songs, and different ways of ‘rewarding’ those who can remember their memory verse. I don’t believe in always giving prizes for kids who can remember things because some kids have a hard time memorizing words and they should not be memorizing them for the prize, however the king and queen chairs were a fun and inclusive way of making the kids feel special.

No comments: